Local Advertisement

Redondo “Path of History” sign reinstated

 A longtime Redondo Beach family whose late patriarch strung electrical lines for Red Car trains is related to the subject of a “Path of History” sign restored to a new location. 

Kathi Gonzalez Cupery, one of eight children of Jesse Gonzalez, was instrumental in getting the sign moved, which tells the story of “The Plunge,” and “Lightning Racer” – once at the site of today’s Seaside Lagoon.

The sign is now at Beryl Avenue and Harbor Drive, across from the Sonesta Hotel. 

Jesse Gonzalez’s father, Mauro, came to Redondo Beach in 1905 from Penjamo Guanato, Mexico, later working on the Red Car line, as an electrician and a surveyor. 

The “Path of History” sign was originally placed next to Seaside Lagoon. After it was moved to make way for the Meistrell twins sculpture, it got covered during BeachLife music festival weekends. The sign was in storage for a year before it was moved to its new spot. Photo courtesy Kathi Gonzalez Cupery

Reels at the Beach

Share it :
0 Comments
Oldest
Newest
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

*Include name, city and email in comment.

Recent Content

Get the top local stories delivered straight to your inbox FREE. Subscribe to Easy Reader newsletter today.

Local Advertisement

Local Advertisement

Local Advertisement