US traffic deaths spiked in early 2022 and hit a 20-year high – How to deal with accidents
Federal transport officials reported that more than 95,000 people were killed in traffic accidents in the first quarter of 2022. This figure represents the deadliest start to a year on the roads of America in the last two decades. According to estimates from officials, in seven states and the District, crash deaths surged by 50%. All over the nation, deaths raised by 7% as compared with the same time, last year.
These aforementioned figures are estimates and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration didn’t release any reasons behind the crashes. Officials report a hike in traffic road accidents that started in the year 2020 when the pandemic began and since then it has kept on increasing every year.
According to the NHTSA, the overall number of traffic road accidents is moving in the wrong direction and this is the ideal time for all states to double down on the traffic safety game.
Immediate steps to take after a minor car accident
There are a few cases where minor car crashes should be given equal importance as you would give to a major car accident. While you may feel like you are giving too much attention to a fender bender, it is imperative to have a detailed record of the events. Here is a list of the steps that you should take after a minor car accident.
- Watch out for injuries
The first step to take after a car crash, even though it is a minor one, is to check yourself for injuries. In case anyone is hurt, you should immediately call the police as well as the medical team so that the first responders can take care of the victim. Even if you think you are not hurt at the scene, never rule out the possibility of injury as there are certain injuries that can be felt later on. Meet the doctor if you think it is necessary.
- Gather photographic evidence of the accident
After you are done with determining your injuries, you should start collecting evidence of the accident. Click photos of the vehicles involved in the crash from various angles. Make sure the photos include a close-up of the car, the license plates, distance pictures of any visible damage, and pictures of the surrounding road.
- Call the police and file an accident report
Soon after an accident, whether a minor one or a major one, you should always call the police. In case of no injuries, you need not call an ambulance. If you want, you may also give a call to non-emergency services. But the most important part is to have an officer who can write down the accident report. Never agree if the other driver tries to skip this step and tells you to keep the accident off record. A car accident police report is extremely important in safeguarding your legal rights, both personally as well as with the insurance companies.
Documents to show your attorney after a car accident
If you have sustained injuries in an accident that was caused by another party, you are entitled to receive compensation. Get in touch with a Las Vegas car accident lawyer who can help you file a personal injury claim against the at-fault party. If this is the first time you are pursuing such a case, here is a list of the documents that you should carry to your attorney.
- Your insurance policy: In case you already have automobile insurance coverage, your attorney will be interested in taking a look at the copy to review the type of insurance recovery you might be entitled to. If you don’t have an original copy of your insurance policy, your attorney can obtain one from your insurance carrier.
- Details exchanged at the scene of the accident: In most accident cases, telephone numbers, names, addresses, and insurance policy details of the drivers are exchanged at the scene of the accident. You should be able to show all of these to your attorney.
- Proof of premium payments: Your attorney should be given the proof that you have pain in regular with pay your auto Insurance policy premiums. Hence you need to carry your bills and statements from the insurance company as proof that all your premiums are paid.
- Photographs: Did you damage your car in the car accident? If you answered yes, it is a smart idea to click pictures of the damage so that you can produce them in front of your attorney.
Therefore, if you have been involved in a car accident or you know someone who has been subject to one, you should immediately seek the help of a car accident lawyer. They are legal professionals with knowledge and expertise in the personal injury process. With their assistance, you can expect to obtain a deserved compensation.