BCHD Salutes its Volunteers & Partners with Luau
Beach Cities Health District (BCHD) hosted a luau at its AdventurePlex facility in Manhattan Beach on July 24 to honor and thank its volunteers and community partners who assisted with its COVID-19 response, including working at its testing and vaccination sites, running essential errands for those needing help during COVID-19, supporting student health during distance learning and more.
“This past year was unprecedented; we could not have expected COVID-19 to dramatically change our lives for so long,” said Beach Cities Health District CEO Tom Bakaly. “When our community needed support to get us through this time, our volunteers and community partners were there and stepped forward to serve others. We could not have done this without our community — thank you for being a part of our BCHD Ohana.”
Among the accomplishments to date of BCHD volunteers:
- More than 500 individuals volunteered their time on behalf of BCHD
- Between March 2020 and June 2021, BCHD volunteers contributed 24,134 hours of service
- 4,712 meals were delivered to Beach Cities residents
- 8,800 callbacks were made by volunteers to people who had tested positive at the COVID-19 testing site in Redondo Beach
- The COVID-19 testing site was in operation 401 days, administering 155,684 tests
- BCHD’s COVID-19 vaccine efforts included 44 clinics, with 15,590 doses administered
- South Bay Family Health also utilized BCHD volunteers at their vaccine site, which delivered 3,727 doses
Saturday’s outdoor event featured games, a short program and Hawaiian-themed eats. You can learn more about BCHD’s COVID-19 response at www.bchd.org/ohanaluau.
Be an Easy Reader Free Press supporter!
Yes, we know Easy Reader and EasyReaderNews.com are free. But they are not free to produce. The advertiser model that traditionally supported newspapers is fading away. This is our way of transitioning to a future where newspapers are supported by their readers. Which is as it should be. We hope you’ll support us. — Kevin Cody, Publisher