Man missing from dinghy taken in King Harbor

A search continued Wednesday south of the Redondo Beach pier for a man missing from a dinghy taken Monday night in King Harbor.

The crew of a sailboat reported it missing after they rowed it to a dock in the harbor.

Witnesses later saw a man rowing the dinghy past the pier in the dark in rough water. A gale force warning was in effect.

“When a wave crashed over (the dinghy), that was the last they saw of him,” said Pono Barnes, public information officer for L.A. County Lifeguards. 

The boat washed up on the beach after it capsized.  

A Coast Guard helicopter searched the water Monday night and lifeguard divers searched south of the pier Tuesday morning. Remote-controlled submarines and sonar were used to search the water inside the horseshoe-shaped pier. 

The man has not been identified.

“We haven’t made much progress,” Redondo Beach Police lieutenant Fabian Saucedo said. “If anybody knows anything, we’d love to know, if anyone has a loved one missing.” ER

Comments:

comments so far. Comments posted to EasyReaderNews.com may be reprinted in the Easy Reader print edition, which is published each Thursday.

Be an Easy Reader Free Press supporter!

Yes, we know Easy Reader and EasyReaderNews.com are free. But they are not free to produce. The advertiser model that traditionally supported newspapers is fading away. This is our way of transitioning to a future where newspapers are supported by their readers. Which is as it should be. We hope you’ll support us. — Kevin Cody, Publisher